Rack of Lamb with Creole Mustard Crust, Rosemary Jus, and Apple Mint Relish
Makes 4 to 6 main-course servings
1. Make an herb/crumb mixture by combining the bread crumbs, basil, rosemary, thyme, oil, and 1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Sprinkle the 4 half racks with the remaining 2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning, using ½ teaspoon to season the meat on each half rack.
3. Heat a large skillet over high heat until hot for about 1 minute. Place 2 of the half racks, fat side down, in the skillet and sear them for 2 minutes, then turn and sear for 2 minutes o the second side. Remove and repeat with the remaining 2 half racks. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
4. While the lamb is cooling, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
5. Prepare the Apple Mint Relish, cover, and set aside.
6. When the lamb is cool, brush the fat side and edges of each half rack with 1 ½ teaspoons of the mustard, and dredge in the herbed crumbs, covering all but the bones. Dredge again in any remaining crumb mixture, using your hands to pack it on the meat. Place the lamb, fat side up, on the baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes for medium rare.
7. About 10 minutes before the lamb is done, prepare the Rosemary Jus.
8. To serve, cut each half rack into 4 chops and arrange them on dinner plates. Add ½ cup of the Apple Mint Relish and ¼ cup of the rosemary Jus. Garnish with a mint sprig.
Combine the shallots, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan, place over high heat, and cook for 30 seconds. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 6 minutes. Remove from the heat. Serve immediately or store refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat in a small saucepan over lowest heat.
Apple Mint Relish
1. In a bowl combine the water and lemon juice. Add the chopped apples and soak them for 20 minutes. Drain the apples, reserving 3 tablespoons of the lemon water.
2. Combine the apples, sugar, mint, and the 3 tablespoons lemon water, and mix until thoroughly blended. Serve immediately or store, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Stir well before serving.