- For the pastry cream: Break the vanilla bean into pieces,
and place it with the sugar in a spice grinder or mini-chop. Process
until the mixture is reduced to a powder.
- Bring the milk to a boil in a saucepan. Meanwhile, combine the
vanilla sugar with the egg yolks in a bowl, and stir well with a whisk
for about 1 minute. Add the cornstarch, and stir well.
- Pour the boiling milk on top of the sugar-yolk mixtures,
incorporate it with the whisk, then place the mixture back in the
saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly with the whisk, and
boil for 10 seconds. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and
- Meanwhile, prepare the garnishes: Peel the mango, and cut
it into slices. Peel the kiwi, and cut it into slices. In a small
bowl, mix the preserves with the Grand Marnier.
- When the pastry cream is cold, spread it in one layer about 1 inch
deep in a nice gratin dish or another attractive serving dish.
Arrange the fruit slices on top in one decorative layer. Using a
spoon, coat the fruit with the preserves and Grand Marnier mixture,
and sprinkle the nuts on top.
- Spoon the fruit and pastry cream onto individual dessert plates at
the table, and serve as is or with a slice of pound cake or cookies.